Posing is an art. In modeling, you can make the difference between a simple portrait and a work of art worthy of magazines and great campaigns.
The next time you pose in front of the camera, consider these 8 tips and manage to better communicate the context and message of your pictures.
If you are a photographer, communicate effectively what you want to transmit so that the models pose as you wish.
1. Contrapposto (Italian pronunciation: [kontrapˈposto]) is an Italian term that means counterpoise. It is used in the visual arts to describe a human figure standing with most of its weight on one foot so that its shoulders and arms twist off-axis from the hips and legs. (source: Wikipedia). Managing this pose is a basic in male modeling. Achieve a natural and casual look without losing elegance in your photo sessions.
2. Strolling: For some, it can be seen as a simple walk, but a professional model knows the difference. By strolling in a correct way, the model manages to show confidence and naturalness in the photographs, in addition to successfully showcase the products of the shoot (Clothes, shoes, accessories, etc.). It’s also a basic pose of male modeling which all models must handle to perfection.
3. Hands in pockets: An easy go-to pose. You can demonstrate security or shyness depending on the language of the rest of your body. It can be used in many different types of shoot and allows to successfully display a garment.
4. Arching Arm: A pose that transmits elegance and power. Perfect to show elegant clothes. By managing it in the right way you can also achieve confidence-filled pictures.
5. One Leg Up: a perfect pose to show naturalness and confidence. It can be used both standing or seating and with many clothing styles. It’s very important to take into account that the language of the rest of your body will set the tone for this pose.
6. The Model Jump: Although it requires practice, once perfected this technique, you can achieve incredible photos. It’s important not to neglect the facial expressions and the way the clothes move during the jump.
7. Touch your face: Do it naturally without covering your most attractive features. You can transmit reflection and seriousness in a profound way with an artistic result.
8. Squat: Hit the ground for a more urban and confident result. The perfect pose to show cool clothes and shoes.