OneModelPlace.com members may or may not be surprised to learn that London has taken over as the Fashion Capital of the World from New York.
Most people will probably agree that fish and chips isn’t the most fashion-friendly dish, rainy weather wreaks havoc on fashionistas’ high heels and Buckingham Palace is neither sleek nor stylish. However, Ellie Krupnick of The Huffington Post reports that London managed to be named the world’s fashion capital for 2011, thanks to two people you may have heard of: Kate Middleton and Alexander McQueen.
According to a survey by the Global Language Monitor, a company that analyze trends in word usage, London has overtaken New York City based on what impact the city had on fashion through the media. Global Language Monitor tracked websites, blogs, Twitter and all sorts of other social media to see which country — and its citizens– were fashion’s most important names.
Bekka Payack, the company’s fashion correspondent, said, “We are seeing what the impact of two genuine media stars, Princess Catherine (the former Kate Middleton) and Alexander McQueen can have upon a global ranking. Our numbers show that it was their presence that tipped the victory to London over New York.”
As far as the other metropolises occupying the list, some were expected, others less so. We’re shocked Tokyo ranked so low, we’re disappointed that Los Angeles even made the list and we are super excited and curious about Berlin’s quite favorable ranking.
1. London (3) – Kate Middleton and Alexander McQueen help raise the City to No.1 status.
2. New York (1) – New York is strong but London has Kate. ‘Nuff said.
3. Paris (4) – No. 1 in our hearts but No. 3 in the media.
4. Milan (6) – The Earth has returned to its proper orbit: The Big Four once again occupy the top four spots.
5. Los Angeles (5) – LA solidifying her hold on No. 5.
6. Hong Kong (2) — Down from No. 2 but tops again in Asia.
7. Barcelona (10) – The Queen of the Iberian Peninsula. Once again.
8. Singapore (15) – Up seven spots and into the Top Ten.
9. Tokyo (14) – Third Asian city in the Top Ten.
10. Berlin (18) – Completes a long climb into elite status.
Read the full article at The Huffington Post
Top Image: Getty
Pictured: Kate Middleton (middle) and Alexander McQueen