“Ask Ashley” is an advice column by Ashley Salazar, who is a veteran both in front of the camera (OMP Model #371407) as well as behind it (OMP Member #231727). OMP models and members are welcome to leave her questions regarding any aspects of OneModelPlace.com or the industry in general, either here in the comments section or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Here’s a question a lot of OMP members have been asking: Since a lot of us in the industry are spending the holidays with family or traveling, how can models and photographers make the most of the holiday break?
Ahhh, holidays, one of my favorite times of the year! When traveling during the holidays, it’s the perfect time to set up shoots in the city you are visiting, because you are bound to have free time and can usually find someone new to work with. It helps a lot if you can prepare beforehand to make the most of your holiday trip. Here’s a few things to keep in mind:
- Utilize the OMP’s Travel Notification system to announce your trip at least a month in advance (you must be a Silver level or higher member)
- Keep a master client email list ( even if you can’t work with a model/photographer at the moment, don’t neglect to get their information for last-minute and holiday bookings)
- Design an online flyer with your travel dates/locations ahead of time, then post the image file on your profile or send it as an email attachment
- Always check references when setting up a shoot with someone for the first time
- Once you are ready for departure, be sure to pack light, bring plenty of snacks, have a GPS if you’re not familiar with the area, carry enough money to get you home just in case everything gets cancelled, and organize yourself as much as possible
- Lastly, always tell someone where you are going and when you’re expected to return